Avocado & Poached Eggs on Toast Recipe
Brunch Made Nutritiously
I'm sure you've all seen avocado on toast popping up everywhere. The reason why is not only is it delicious and filling, but avocados are a complete food, high in essential fats. What you might not know is that it's high in dietary fiber; in fact, most of the grams of carbohydrates in an avocado come from dietary fiber. Plus it's a quick and easy meal to make and easy to create variations of.
I like to add a poached egg or 2 to mine to add more protein to even out the carbohydrate, protein and fat macros.
Benefits of Avocado:
- Avocados contain a wide variety of nutrients, including 20 different vitamins and minerals including Vitamin K, C, and B5 & 6.
- With 9 grams of carbs, 7 of those are fiber so there are only 2 “net” carbs making it a low carb food.
- More Potassium than a banana.
- High in oleic acid, a heart healthy, beneficial fat (in moderation).
- Numerous studies have shown that eating avocado can improve heart disease risk factors
- Healthy fats help create healthy heart.
- Contain antioxidants, including Lutein and Zeaxanthin, which are important for eye health.
Ingredients (serves 2): All organic of course
- 1 avocado
- 2-4 eggs (depending on whether you want 1 or 2 eggs each)
- 2-4 slices of whole-wheat bread or P28 bread
- 6 Cherry tomatoes
- Washed Salad leaves
- 1 tbsp. Crumbled Goats or blue Cheese (I like goats as it's lactose free)
- 1 tbsp. All natural bacon bits (such as Wellshire)
- Splash of lime juice
- Salt and pepper to season (I love Himalayan Pink Salt as it gives a little crunch to the texture too).
- Poach the eggs to your preference (3-6 minutes, 3 will leave you with a very runny center, 6 will be cooked through). These poaching bags make it super easy and with less mess.
- Toast the bread
- Slice the tomatoes in halves or quarters.
- Slice the avocado and scoop out the flesh. Mash the avocado (with a sprinkle of salt, lime juice and bacon if using).
- Top one slice of the toast with the avocado, sprinkle with cheese (if using) and cherry tomatoes.
- Top the other slice of toast with the salad leaves and poached egg(s)
Show us how you brunch and share your avocado on toast photos and recipes! #fitnessbyeve
Fitness by Eve