Healthy Protein Cinnamon Roll Recipe
The Perfect Breakfast Comfort food
Sundays are my day of rest, and time to relax with family and friends. I want to refuel my body whilst enjoying my food and day off from training, so that I can start my week with a ton of energy. This healthy protein cinnamon roll recipe is the perfect breakfast comfort food.
Sunday mornings usually mean waking up before anyone else in the house, besides my cats who are also ready for breakfast, putting on the coffee and cooking for my husband and I, as well as any house guests. This yummy, nutritious breakfast is super healthy and full of protein, fiber, quality carbohydrates and essential fats to fuel your Sunday Funday.
I use a lot of cinnamon in my recipes because it smells divine and has a ton of health benefits but if it's not your thing just miss it out.
Benefits of cinnamon:
- Cinnamon regulates blood sugar, this creates stable energy levels and moods. No cranky people here ;)
- Reduces LDL cholesterol levels (the harmful cholesterol.)
- Reduces chronic inflammation linked with various neurological disorders.
- Reduces pain linked to arthritis (by reducing cytokines linked to arthritic pain).
- Contains small amounts of fiber, calcium, iron, and manganese.
- Reduces menstrual pain.
- Contains the natural chemical 'cinnamaldehyde' which helps to balance hormones.
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 slice of whole wheat gluten free flatbread cut into quarters, or 2 slices of gluten free bread. Wholefoods have a great selection. Personally, I use P28 flatbread wraps which are available online. They're high in protein (28g per flatbread) and crisp up nicely in the oven (I'm not a fan of soggy bread or toast).
- 8-10 drops stevia, or 1 tsp agave nectar (optional if you are wanting a sugar free version).
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp of almond milk
- 1/2 cup low fat ricotta (optional, you can miss this if you are wanting a dairy free, low fat option)
- Pre-heat oven to 420*F (non-convection temp).
- Mix all of the ingredients together except for the bread.
- Cut the flatbread into quarters and dunk the bread in the mix, thoroughly coating it.
- Fold each slice in half, roll up, and stuff into a muffin tin.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes (You can adjust them slightly during cooking to make sure the bottom is cooked and not soggy).
- They will be slightly crispy around the edges when done, and warm all the way through.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Mix extra ricotta, agave, cinnamon and vanilla essence and use as a topping but I find them moist enough on their own.
- Sprinkle with extra cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, spices of your choice.
- Spread with a little almond or peanut for some healthy fat
- Heat a handful of seasonal fruit/berries for about 15 seconds in the microwave so that they turn into a fruit syrup to top the cups with.
It's a beautiful life, go out, live it and eat well in doing so! Let me know how your healthy protein cinnamon rolls turn out and tag #fitnessbyeve in any photos you take of your masterpieces!