Gluten-free Oat Cake Recipe
A Healthy Alternative to Rice Cakes
I could never get into the taste or smell of rice cakes but my Mum introduced me to these homemade oatcakes which are more filling, better smelling and still gluten-free. They are great for on-the-go as a healthy snack as they don't need refrigerating and don't crumble and break as easily as many other crackers. I eat them on their own as a snack or with almond butter and a protein shake for a complete meal.
8oz oats (2 2/3 cups)
3oz oat flour (3/4 cup), you can also use coconut flour or regular flour (although that will add gluten)
1 tsp baking powder
2 ½ oz (1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp) butter (not a fake spread/oil or low fat substitute)
3-4 tbsp non-fat milk or almond milk to make lactose free
Optional: 8-10 drops of liquid stevia if you prefer a sweeter snack
- Preheat oven to 170/325.
- Combine oats, flour and baking powder in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add butter and using your hands rub into flour mix until it forms a breadcrumb consistency.
- If using stevia stir into the breadcrumb mix then add the milk gradually to form a firm dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface (to prevent sticking) and knead for 2 minutes. Tip: The colder your hands are to do this the better as it sticks more the warmer your hands are.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to ¼ inch thickness.
- Cut into circles of desired size and place on a non-stick baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Place oatcakes on a wire rack to allow to cool.
Cooking time’s personal, I prefer mine slightly soft whilst my husband likes his crunchier so I just leave his in a few minutes longer until they are more of a golden brown. They will harden more as they cool.
They can be eaten plain or topped with anything of your choosing but try to keep it healthy ;) A few ideas include home-made salsa, guacamole, hummus, fresh fruit or nut butters such as Almond butter are great too.
If you are struggling to find liquid Stevia you can always order it online, this is my fave as it's vanilla creme flavor so I use it in my coffee too: Click Here
Want more recipes, just subscribe for free.
Like this Gluten Free Organic Oat Cake recipe fitness by Eve, why not also try Gluten & Lactose Free Match Green tea & Honey Oatcakes
Fitness by Eve